Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2000 01:51:44 EDT
From:         Sean Lynch <Chgolynch@aol.com>
Subject:      Gotta Be a Wasserboxer!

Hey again!

I would like to thank everyone who's responded to my posting so far.

<quasi-rant>

However, I would like to restate though, I have NO intentions of putting anything but a wasserboxer into the arse end of my '86 GL. As I'm a diesel owner too, I couldn't bring myself to gut one of the few remaining trannies on this side of the Atlantic that could potentially wind up in my dieselbox someday. Secondly, I will not cut, mutilate, or otherwise defile my van, as several conversions require. Not even for the stereo. All I'm looking for is about 105-110 hp, with a little more low-end torque. Top speed is fine now. It'll do 88 flat out, and that's outside the green zone on the tach, and taboo in my book. Money isn't an issue, as I'm willing to spend whatever I can muster to do it right. Thirdly, I saw the Vanagon article in Hot VWs on the saga of the author's '91 Carat. Considering the mileage between failures, this guy must have had some questionable mechanics. He claims the heads worked off after a full top-end rebuild, and in less than a thousand miles? C'mon. Don't get a gun, get a warranty! I'm getting a warranty on parts/labor on this build, and I plan to use it if necessary. This motor's lasted 125K before starting to have problems, and only because the previous owner let it sit for THREE years! I realize what a mechanical/financial "cow pie" a Vanagon is, but I like the ride, handling characteristics, and the charisma it possesses. Plus, compared to the diesel, the 2.1L is damn quiet. :) I've looked at all the posts about the crappy stock motor, and how it would have to improve just to suck, but I like it. Chalk it up to "tough love". People keep British cars and Italian cars, and it's not because they're reliable, but because the owner loves the car. Face it, those cars suck in their own ways too. Next time you start cussing your 'boxer, think Trabant or NSU Ro80, and consider yourself blessed. :)

</quasi-rant>

Sean L.

Two 2.1's and None The Wiser (but I keep the diesel for backup)