Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:19:53 -0400
From:         Mike Barfield <barfield@gte.net>
Subject:      Re: air cooled eng convert.
Comments: To: Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.com>

Chris,

To understand take my case as an example...

I was able to buy a '84 Vanagon Westy with a blown engine for a very low price. I'm sure that had the van been running the price would have been much higher. I also found a Subaru with a dead transmission for next to nothing. The biggest cost to date has been the cost of the KEP conversion kit. Still all sum total of all the above is less than the cost of a running VW powered Westy. I also enjoy the challenge of this project. Others who don't like getting their hand dirty shouldn't take this path. Anyone with clean hands couldn't own a Vanagon anyway ;) In 10-15 years I hope to still have my Westy which would have otherwise ended up in the junkyard. Think of us conversion folks as the kind of people that go to the 'pound to get a pet. Most of us here (both VW and non-VW powered) don't think in terms of $'s when we deal with our babies since just burning the money would be so much easier :)

Glad to have you around and welcome to the "scene"

Mike Barfield '84 Westy '91 Legacy Tampa, FL www.geocities.com/subagon

------Original Message------ From: Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.com> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: July 20, 2000 6:52:13 PM GMT Subject: Re: air cooled eng convert.

Forgive my bewilderment. I am quite new to the Vanagon scene, but not so new to the VW scene. I don't quite understand many people's willingness to put a non-VW engine in their Vanagons. I understand you need more power. Doesn't it make a lot more sense to stick with a VW-motor even if the conversion takes a little more effort? 10 or 15 years from now our Vanagons will be very sought after by collectors and I am sure the Subaru engines or the Buick V-6 motors will not increase their worth. After seeing countless hacked-up split-window busses I fear the same fate awaits our Vanagons.

Now take it easy with the flames.

______________________________________________ FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=mc.mk.mcm.tag001