Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:00:58 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Stereo status...
Comments: To: Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>

Distortion is caused by speakers trying to hit notes they were not designed to take. Try and find some specs on your speakers, but if not you can call up Crutchfield. If you put some inline bass blockers in there your speakers will sound better at high volumes because they are not trying to hit the sounds intended for woofers (under 110hz). I hate to keep pumping Crutchfield, but they have them at good prices, and can tell you which ones to get for what kind of speakers you have. You probably need ones that run high=pass at 800hz for 4" speakers if you have an amp, or 500 just off the head unit.

The 40wX4 stereo specs is Max power. This is a number that tells you how much power your stereo can put out for short periods of time. The RMS number is the one to pay attention to - it is probably between 12-20w/ch. That says how much CLEAN sound your stereo can put out per channel.

Yes an amp will help, but you should look into different speaker configurations - 4" speakers will NEVER put out bass. No matter how much you try. If you want to look into a better combination, look for some 5.25" midbass speakers for the rear. (If you want a recommendation - UBid.com & Ebay usually sells some Boss Audio 5.25 mids for 19-29$/pair. Good stuff for dirt cheap) The door speakers can be pumped up to a max size of 6.5" If you get some 6.5" components and mount the tweeters on the dash, that would be my first choice, and is actually what I am planning on after I finish the audio on my Scirocco.

You could also buy some 6.5-8" woofers (or subs) and mount them somewhere with an amp. Subs are good, but that leaves the majority of the audio spectrum out if you just have subs and 4" speakers.

Well, I've rambled on enough - if you have any questions, drop me a line.

here is a link to my current stereo system http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/cars/Vanagon/vanpix/vanstereo.htm

HTH Mark > This is > a 40W x 4 unit with remote, and a bunch of other > cool features. The > remote in particular is neat when you are in the > back of the camper. > > Just finished installing it, and it sounds really > good. The weak point > is my speakers, which, because I didn't want to > modify the van's > interior, are the stock size. I have a Westfalia, so > there are two 4" > speakers in the rear AC housing and two 4" speakers > in the front doors. > They are 80W Pioneer's, and they sound good except > for the lack of good > base. I attribute this to the speakers' small size > and their location in > the door. At highway speeds, you can't turn the > volume up enough without > getting distortion. > > I'm wondering if an amplifier will help this > situation. The CD player as > preamp outputs, so It's designed for an amp. I like > the sound, but the > base is not too good. > > Anyone care to comment? > > Dan

===== Mark If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/