Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:55:50 -0700
From:         Jim A <jrasite@eoni.com>
Subject:      Re: speaking of tools (was "Huge Nut on Rear Drum")
Comments: To: Bob O'Shaughnessy <vanagon@columbus.rr.com>

Where is a 36mm used on a vanagon??? Ain't the gland nut 'cause it ain't got one! And even if it did, you couldn't hold the engine by putting it in gear. To get to it the trans has to be laying on the floor. ;o)

Curious.

Jim Arnott WetWesties Union, OR

Bob O'Shaughnessy wrote: > > Jeanne Maly (traveller57@cableone.net) said on the date of 7/20/00 7:01 PM > > >This is a timely discussion. I still have to buy these odd things for my > >toolbox for South America. I found the 46mm axle tool and the 12 pt cv bolt > >tool at bus depot. Now I know that the 17 mm wllen wrench is actually > >available from Sears. > > > >There's one more odd one: Where can I get the 36 mm flywheel tool? > > > >Jeanne > > > > You should be able to buy a 36mm socket for a 1/2" drive just about > anywhere. The real problem with the flywheel, is holding the crank still > while you loosen the nut. > > I did it once by having a friend put the van in gear and hold the > brake while bracing myself against both walls of the van and pulling on a > long breaker bar. > > The Bentley has a description of the proper VW tool, which bolts to > the engine mounts and goes in the holes in the flywheel.