Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:03:15 -0400
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: speaking of tools (was "Huge Nut on Rear Drum")
Comments: To: sharks <jayshark@aracnet.com>

>...Well, I was ready for action except for the fact that I don't know what >kind of tool I need to remove the plug. It certainly isn't in my socket >set. Is that a hex nut?

Good story here about these plugs. In Summer 1972 I was driving my 1971 Westy up a mountain in Eastern Turkey and had a rough crossing of a drainage ditch. Bottomed out and put a hairline crack in the gearbox. Enough so that the fluid was seeping out after an hour or so, very slowly. Went into the nearest town where they had never seen a Westy before, but the Turks are great mechanics. No one had the tool, so the guy welded a piece of iron rod to a hex head bolt and made a tool. It worked and I used it for several more years until I got out of the VW business for a while in 1978. I just kept stopping every now and then and topped it up until I got to a bigger city where the mechanic used epoxy glue to plug the crack. Never leaked a drop after that.

Jim in Atlanta w/ 85 Westy, George