Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:12:52 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Question on rocker arms...
Comments: To: djs@gene.com

In a message dated 7/21/00 12:00:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, djs@gene.com writes:

<< Thanks for the reply. So, if I understand you, you recommend no more than 1:25 ratio rockers on a stock engine, which makes sense. And these can be added without modifying anything else? Since I don't rev the engine past around 4500, I probably don't need the cro-moly pushrods at this point, although it would be a good upgrade on my Porsche 914.>>

The Cromoly push rods reduce the weight that the springs push when opening. When you add the ratio rockers you will need to either increase the spring pressure or reduce the weight-effectively increasing the spring pressure so the lifter will follow the cam and not float damaging the cam or lifter. Plus, if you go with the swivel tip reducing the length of the push rod helps to reduce the amount of clearancing and the number of spacers under the rocker stands.

<<My engine has only 18K on it, and it runs perfectly. I would be doing this upgrade strictly as an add on, along with the other things you recommend. I already have the Bosch tri-electrode plugs and my FI is functioning correctly. I also have a low-restriction muffler and 4 into 1 header that the previous owner installed, so I think I'm pretty good in those areas.>>

I would go to the quad tip. The electrode is not as far in and the head temps go down a little. When I put the tri's on my Air cooled buses custom T4 2L the head temps went to 350+ When I put the quad in they are now 225 to 275.

<>

If the rockers do not give you what you desire you might look into the ECU chip replacement.

<<Also, what 5-spd transmission are you using? How did you find it, and how much would one cost? How does it shift?>>

Weddle Industries www.2weddle.com 805-696-9665

It is the South African .457 five speed.

Their list price is 2295. I do not know if the price reflects a core charge.

It shifts great. I am using the stock linkage. I push down and pull back for first. going into second is easy and second nature now. Once moving I do not need first.

The gears 2 through 5 are perfect for my engines power. In fourth, I can go to 75 if needed too push it, but never have had too just seeing the limit.

It is basically a bolt in with only the front mount needing to be shortened @1.5 inches- Weddle has the exact amount.

It did cost a bit but overall for me, it was worth it.

What year is yours? If you have bought a new AFM, try backing the spring off one notch to see if it improves performance.

One other item you will need to replace it the valve covers. The rockers could hit. Replace with clip on aluminum valve covers NOT chrome (hold heat inside) or the bolt on (leak when hot). The cost is @$15 at CB Performance, are finned to help remove heat, thicker to reduce noise some, the clip keeps the cover tight as the engine heats, AND most important LOOK COOLER than the stock covers.

I have been using them for 26,000 miles now with no leakage...

Robert