Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:37:57 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: IMO: engine Converting = Ignorance of what is out there...
Comments: To: maxjoyce@ipa.net

In a message dated 7/21/00 6:02:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, maxjoyce@ipa.net writes:

<<Have you investigated the berg FI system and how it could be adapted to Water boxer? >>

No, I have looked at their web site and wondered. Mine is finally working OK after putting settings back. I would have to convince my wife first...I did get her to go along with the five speed tranny. If I had planned on replacing the FI first instead of buying replacement parts, I might have gotten the setup to play with.

<<I'm still having trouble figuring out how much all the FI parts would cost from them since I don't know a lot about it. the tuning part where they drive down the road with a lambda sensor in the pipe and hook up the laptop and adjust settings for each 100 rpms must be way cool.>>

Do you have their catalog? The setup could work with the stock throttle bodies, according to the web site. Order the short shift kit and their exhaust wrap plus a catalog.

<< You're slowly wining me around on the WB mods, but how reliable are the 2.5 cyl and where are they to be found. Please don't say Claude's Buggies! >>

I would say IF you spent the money needed to build the engine right, it should be reliable. Coat the heads to prevent corrosion from starting, make it ceramics and reduce the temps the rubber head gaskets face to extend the life. The kit is @$5,000. I know that FAT Performance utilizes them, because when I was talking to them about modifications, they were building one for a syncrosyncro that would be using the stock FI setup.

If you carefully build the engine and drive it reasonably, it should last as long as or longer than the stock setup. 200,000 or more are possible. The kit replaces all internal parts: crank, cam, rods, piston/cylinders, heads. You would simply need a case and the kit. I would replace all the head studs with new and use what the is recommended, it might even come with different head studs too. Simply because of the cost of the kit, NO weak links.

Maybe a list vender can look into importing them cheaper...

The kits are used throughout Germany. The SAME COMPANY that built the WBX has the FACTORY DROP IN 2.5L kit, PLUS the also make the 3.2L flat size WBX Cost on that in 94' was $20,000 for entire drop in engine and parts to make it boltup, I do not know the current price.

Robert