Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:49:24 -0000
From:         Pat Dooley <pdooley@gte.net>
Subject:      Re: Gotta Be a Wasserboxer!

OK, point taken. But a conversion motor would be even easier to get parts for. The waterboxer motor is not nearly as common as a Ford 2.3 or Buick 3.8, for example. There is also many more Ford and GM dealers around the country than VW dealers. Most VW dealers have to order waterbox parts anyway. Where's the advantage? Plus VW parts are always more expensive then domestic parts, at least in my experience.

As far as reliability and durability, the 2.3 is proven itself far better than the waterbox. Lets say you crack your 2.3 head(nearly impossible) due to overheating 1000 miles from home. OK, a local junkyard will probably have a Ranger, Mustang, Pinto, Thunderbird, Fairmont, etc. They all run 2.3's. R&R the head in an hour and your done. Try that with a waterboxer.

Oh, and for the $250 waterboxer studs, you can buy a complete gasket set, rings, bearings AND new head bolts for a 2.3. Hmmmmmmm. Extracting studs?? Unheard of in a 2.3 application.

Really, where is the WB advantage? Look, even VW gave up on the WB. The SA vanagons don't use them.

Again, I'm not trying to slam anybody, and I respect the purist who wants to keep the faith. I am just offering the other side. Not that the other side is perfect. My conversion started 2 years ago and is still not done. I have never even driven a vanagon because of this.

I have built many watercooled VW's and Audis and 2.3 turbo Merkurs, Pintos and Turbocoupes though. I really think the 2.3T vanagon has potential. As soon as time becomes available to finish the project, I will update my site and provide some feedback.