Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:43:13 -0400
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@ReliTech.com>
Subject:      FW: Nova Scotia/New Brunswick Camping/Tourning Recommendations

-----Original Message----- From: M.J.s 2nd test account [mailto:jagvw@cs.jhu.edu] Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 9:51 PM To: rgolen@umassd.edu; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Nova Scotia/New Brunswick Camping/Tourning Recommendations

>Hi All, >We're in the planning stages for a mid-August trip with the Westy to Nova >Scotia and New Brunswick. We figure about 8 days....taking the ferry from >Portland to Yarmouth. So far we're planning on doing the east coast >"Lighthouse Route" then head west over to New Brunswick to the Bay of Fundy >National Park...then possibly down to Campobello Island then home to Mass. >Anyone have any recommendations for campgrounds and things to see? >Thanks in advance. >Ric

Hi Ric,

I did a similar trip a couple of months ago. Drove up the Maine coast, crossed over into NB, visited Fredrickton, Fundy NP, Sackville, Halifax, St Johns and the reversing falls, back to ME, Acadia NP.

A few notes: The drive up the coast in maine was nice. Choose the coastal route, not I95. Get the "DeLorme" topo map. It marks attractions with various symbols. There is a DeLorme factory store in ME along I95.

The ferry between StJohns and Digby failed to leave twice, and I ran out of time and had to add a grueling 7h drive around the bay, pretty much wasting a day for me. (no time for scenic stops or detours).

Some nice places: I camped on a bluff overlooking bay of fundy. Just after the village to the north west of the park is a scenic route going out on a point in the bay. Plenty of possible camping overlooking the bay.

The Kemitejuk (sp?) national park in the middle of the Nova Scotia peninsula has lots of good lake canoeing. Similar to St Regis and boundary waters in the US, just less crowded.

Sackville, NB has a nice, free art gallery at Mount Allison Univ, and near the trans canadian exit (just north east of) is a wonderful waterfowl sanctuary with plenty of boardwalk for easy viewing.

Have a nice trip, Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel (For Sale)

Martin Jagersand email: jagvw@hammer.cs.jhu.edu Computer Science Department Johns Hopkins University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------