Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:49:24 -0700
From:         Rennie Wible <volksdragon@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: Engine conversions
Comments: To: =David-M= <dmc@cyburban.com>

There is a guy in town that rents out Westies for camping and such. These are all Diesel Vanagons that have been converted to gas Rabbit/Golf engines. I have yet to see one, but he swears by them. He says they have more than enough torque and are quite reliable, enough so that he can rent them out without worry.

I look at this whole conversion thing as a nightmare, and I own one! I have this 61 crew cab with a 911 conversion. Everytime something breaks, I have to figure out what the part came off of and then find one, modify it, and hope that it works.

I really love this car. Plenty of power, fast, stops on a dime, etc. But I would never try this conversion. People ask me about it all the time, especially on the lists. It takes an hour of typing (at 30wpm) to describe and tell what part is used where and so on.

The person who did the conversion claims he spent in excess of $25,000 doing it and I can see how. Special trailing arms, special hubs, special shifter box, special shift rod, the list goes on and on.

I wanted to do this ever since I drove my first conversion in the mid 80s. Now that I see it done, I'm glad I never attempted it. It would still be sitting in my driveway, and I've moved 4 times since then!

Rennie VolksDragon@earthlink.net Los Angeles

61 crew cab (911 conversion) 65 convertible 84 vanagon 93 fox