Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:25:30 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Gotta Be a Wasserboxer!
Comments: To: djs@gene.com

Daniel,

<< I have found it now problem to keep up with normal traffic, and the only time the wbx could use more power is in climbing grades at highway speeds. But it's the van's brick-like aerodynamics that are the problem, not this engine.>>

Actually the engine is the problem (along with the aerodynamics), it simply does not put out quite enough power to move the 4000 LB (Mine is at least) Vanagon quickly. I chose to add a few proven T1 parts and modify a few internal engine parts to increase my power. The changes increase the life of the engine not decrease because the engine runs more efficiently.

I can keep up with traffic easy, often I lead... On the highway I can maintain and increase speeds going up hills. I can be going 70 mph, press the gas and in a few seconds hit 80 mph (testing power, I drop back to@ 75 do not need a ticket) The range of my engine is from @1500 RPMs to @5000 RPMs (I do not need to go higher)

<<For smoothness, quietness and overall driveability, I don't think you can beat the stock 2.1L engine. I wouldn't consider putting something else in back unless I had a real need for a lot more power. Gas mileage could be better, but the cost of a conversion will buy an awful lot of gas!>>

On my last trip, I was getting @23 at 75 with occasional bursts to 80 mph, I had also lowered my front tire pressure to 30 psi down from 40 psi to check the ride effects.

Robert