Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:56:19 -0400
From:         Dan Stevens <dstevens@twcny.rr.com>
Subject:      hard accelerations and kick out the A/C compressor

You could always use a wide open throttle type switch... except backwards to hook inline with your A/C pump line. (if this sounds like to much -it isn't though you should leave it be) there are many configurations for that function WOT so finding the brackets and switch shouldn't be tough.. You would want one normally open (allowing current) then when WOT occurs closes the loop and interupts the current flow to the pump wire.. this is in itself harmless (though I am a guru not an expert :p ) would give back the HP stolen from the A/C and would even feel like MORRE power returned.. many new cars (esp little 1.3-1.8 motors) have and benefit from this simple LOGIC circuitry.

I do plan on adding this to my Deisel westy A/C conversion as I will need all the help I can Get.

One last note for the overheating Issue, though many would hate to cut xtra holes in their vans. I am planning on adding 2 coolers to either side of the rear liscense plates in my van an Oil Cooler (its a TD) and a heater core (outta a rabbit for SUMMER use ONLY). protected and trimmed on the exterior by an attractive set of louvers (check your hardware store for heating vents)

the heater core will be added into the cooling system with either a T or Y valve and a stock heater valve in the engine bay.. I am (generallly) smart enough to know when to open it. But in summer use when the dash unit is closed I would open the rear unit. In the Inline 4's anyway the heater flow circut runs constant and the T-stat doesn't open till the water is warm. giving you and the engine first dibs on warm water. Could also be very helpful in desert and otheroverheating conditions.

one last note while I still have your attention..

has anyone thought of adding a double pully to the A/C pump and "rigging" a 110volt electric motor via pully so as to be able to run the A/C when At a camp with hookups? should be quiet enough and able to freewheel when on the road.. JUST A THOUGHT IN A SLEEP DEPRAVED STATE AT 6AM 8)