Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:00:31 -0700
From:         Dave Nadeau <dave.nadeau@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Oil Viscosity Recommendations

Karl,

Do you ever get a flash of the oil warning when you hit idle on a long trip? I still get an occaisional light when I've up through the mountains around Payson, AZ and it's 95 degrees and I stop at a light. Maybe the 40 weight is the answer. Of course, lots of driving down here in PHX at 113 degrees does it too! It takes a good hour or two of driving before I can get the light at idle though.

On another note, I took this list's collective advice and drained my gear oil and replaced it with Redline MTL. Thank you and Wow! I drove the mountains this past weekend, and the shifting has gone from sand to silk. It's really noticeable. Even after long grinding climbs, it shifted very smoothly. The former stuff must've gotten very hot because on the same trip three weeks before, it shifted terribly after the long climb. Thanks for the advice!

Dave Nadeau '84 Westy Phoenix, AZ