Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:23:17 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@enteract.com>
Subject:      Re: Gotta Be a Wasserboxer SORRY not for me!

Bill Davidson wrote:

> > > I guarantee you no dealer will work on a conversion.

I have to disagree here from experience, I had my valves adjusted twice at two different dealerships, one here in the Chicago land area and the other near Laguna California. It was on my first conversion my 1.8 8V GTI powered Vanagon on the 15 degree slant. (OK it was an easily job) I am considering having a friend at the dealer replace my timing belt and tensioner on my 16V. He said its a three hour job normally maybe less after looking at my set up.

> And most mechanics will > look at it and not want to take the chance of getting bogged down in > figuring out something new.

Actually two mechanics were fighting over doing it. They were messing around, but needless to say some nightmare jobs become easier in different surroundings.

> Especially if you put in a non VW engine.

This is why I suggest "Keeping it real" Please take no offense our other conversion brothers and sisters. The Vanaru is most impressive, and I have already had a dream of a chopped, shortened Vanagon with some serious american horse power Its just an idea I've had after junking three perfectly good bodies. My only point is for the individual considering a conversion that wants someone other than themselves to work on it.

Rob