Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:47:28 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>
Subject:      Re: What to do about brakes
Comments: To: Barbie <basst8+@pitt.edu>

Barbie,

The brake pedal on my '87 also pulsates when the brakes are warmed up and applied at highway speeds. I have only had my van for a couple of months, and I noticed this pulsation when driving it from Colorado home to San Francisco. I have not done anything yet with my brakes, other than remove the front wheels to inspect the front ones. My rotors are worn out (too thin) and will need to be replaced. Warped rotors can cause the vibration, as can rear drums that are too thin/out of round. I haven't checked the rear drums yet, but I will probably replace them anyway as they are not that expensive and the van has over 150K miles on it.

The symptoms I experience don't happen around town, only at higher speeds and once the brakes are warmed up. This leads me to suspect that my discs or drums (or both) are warping/out-of-round when they reach operating temperatures.

Your service provider should drive your van on the highway to test for this. I have read in the archives that the rear drums on the Vanagon in particular can cause this vibration when they get too thin from wear.

If you need new parts, both the drums and the discs are available and not too expensive (I think about $40 each from one of our popular vendors). If you can confirm with your service place that the discs or drums or both are the problem by having them drive your van, you may be able to order the parts and have them installed by them to save a bit of money on the job.

Your vibration might also be caused by something in your suspension, but for a pulsating pedal I would suspect the discs/drums first.

Dan