Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:20:16 -0400
From:         Matthew Bulley <gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com>
Subject:      Re: High altitude power loss

Aren't we over analyzing an inconsequential and predictable fault?

In the original post on this subject, the conditions described were (not verbatim):"...going down a long hill where I was mostly coasting...then I would begin a climb and the engine would sputter, loose power...." This is nothing complicated.

The pickup tube in the fuel tank is at lower rear portion of the tank. In normal driving on flat or rolling terrain, even a tiny amount of fuel will immerse the pick-up frequently enough to maintain fuel pressure; usually it is completely submerged. If however you consistently descending a slope, and you have less than half a tank of fuel, it is entirely possible (thanks to the pancake fuel tank design) that less-than-enough fuel splashed across the pick-up, and only enough pressure was available for idle/coasting.

Upon acceleration on the following climb, you were caught in the delay as the huge bubble in you fuel system made its way through the fuel loop.

With most modern mechanical devices, (VW at the top of this list) it is most frequently the simplest fault that causes defalcations. Look for the simplest first.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 Tollfree www.bulley-hewlett.com

My Agenda: Stop Suburban Sprawl. My Methods: Revitalize older, highly-dense, urban towns. Champion mass/rapid transit and fast Internet service to these towns. Demand replacement of archaic, "separationist" zoning laws with neo-traditional dense/mixed use zoning. The Result: All Americans obtain superior living opportunities; sprawl is restrained; and dense, beautiful, interlinked towns become our children's inheritance. Find out more at http://www.cnu.org

-----Original Message----- From: The Gunnings [SMTP:ngunn@landmarknet.net] Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 8:15 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: High altitude power loss

Thank you David. It's always so much fun deferring to a more better informed opinion. One of the great things about this list is learning something new all the time. So, the old problem I had which would be fixed by turning off the key and restarting the engine might have been fixed by this snazzy wiring harness extension if I had used it before replacing the old AFM w/ a rebuilt? AH, ok. And the new IPL that I am experiencing, which is not solved by restarting the engine, is not being caused by the new AFM and is being caused by some other factor. Makes sense. And begins to verify the idea that the "intermittent power loss" syndrome may be the result of a sequence of casually linked events,.being caused by several factors at the same time. Hence, it may not be a situation where you fix one thing and cure the problem. No magic bullet. Makes sense. How you making-out w/ the smoking problem? I think I must have missed if it is black smoke or blue.

Regards,

David Gunning & Sammy da Dog