Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:50:04 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Engine Conversion and MPG
Comments: To: wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net
              on Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:23:24 -0700)

Karl Wolz Wrote:

> My understanding is that fuel economy is determined primarily by > vehicle weight. frontal area and driving style. Changing the power > plant should not have a significant effect on fuel economy, and > your figures kinda bear this out.

Fuel economy depends on the vehicle, engine and driver. The two first can easily be calculated. The behaviour of the driver is hard to quantify, and therefore more difficult to take into account.

1/ Vehicle drag can be measured, or calculated using friction coefficients (for wind drag, tires...) For our Westy's I measured the drag at various speeds and made the following graph:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Yale/engine/diesel1.9/WestyDrag_12_98.gif

The method and experients required were posted and discussed on the list at that time (fall 1998). See the archives.

2/ Engine efficiency is given in grams of fuel required to produce one kWh (kilo Watt hour). These figures are also either measured on a real engine, or calculated from engine and fuel injection pump data. The specific efficiency of the VW IDI Diesel engines are about 200g/kWh and the TDI's 250g/kWh. The efficiency is really a function of rpm and MEP (mean effective pressure in the cylinder, ie load), but is reasonably constand between 1000-4000 rpm in the Diesels. Gas engine efficiency varies a lot more. In general the engine and transmission should be matched to the vehicle so it works at peak efficiency at normal cruising speeds. This is true in most European vehicles, where (choose one) a: people care about the environment, b: fuel is expensive and people care about there wallet.

3/ For l/100km figures or MPG use 1/, 2/ and law of physics to integrate over a specified driving cycle. A particularly simple example is constant speed driving. Calculations for a westy with the IDI diesel comes out to 26mpg at 60mph. Details and more examples are at:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Yale/engine/tdiswap/tdiswap.html

Cheers, Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel (Not for sale!!!)

Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel FOR SALE, See:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Quantum/QuantumTD85.html

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Yale/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu Computer Science Department Johns Hopkins University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------