Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:50:47 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>
Subject:      Re: Valve seat drop on 81 vanagon
Comments: To: François Vézina <fvezina@sfu.ca>

Francois,

The oil light on the 81 van's dash will be for oil pressure, not temperature. It gets it's signal from the oil pressure switch located next to the distributor. The light may come on momentarily when the engine is hot and idling, however, because hot oil is thinner in viscosity. But the '81 has no oil temperature indicator.

The VW Type 4 engine is notorious for dropping exhaust valve seats at either high mileage or when severely overheated. However, normal operation should not cause the engine to get that hot if it's operating within its design parameters. A lean condition in one cylinder can cause this, however.

You can install a cylinder head temp sensor and gauge that will show you at what temperature your cylinder head is operating. However, as the sender attaches at the spark plug and the engine has two heads on opposite sides of the engine, the setup works for only one head. So you either need two senders/two gauges or else you will have to assume that the reading is representative for both heads.

You can also install an oil temp sender and gauge. The sender will go on the bottom of the engine (there is a replacement plate with sender for the blank factory plate), and this will give you a general idea of your whole engine's temperature. The cylinder head temp gauge only measures a localized area, although it is the hottest part of the engine.

Both gauges and senders are available through VDO, and are not terribly expensive. You will need to route your own wiring from the engine to the instrument panel, however.

If your van is in fact overheating, you should find out why this is. It may not be running correctly if it's getting hot enough to drop a valve seat. I guess I would recommend both the temp gauge(s) as preventative measures as well as a general tune up to ensure you are running within design parameters.

Dan