Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:06:15 -0400
From:         Matthew Bulley <gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com>
Subject:      Re: Alcohol Consmption In Westies!
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <brent@vanagon.com>

I had a discussion with a friend who is a lawyer (here in NC). This was his take on it here in NC.

The Westy is NOT a "house car" by NC standards because it is not a self-contained dwelling: it lacks a functional fixed commode. I asked "What about the porta-potty?"

He said. "Chancy." The law said something to the effect of "fixed" as in "installed/permanent". If it were fixed, open bottles would be allowed in the back seats only, out of the driver's reach. When stopped, you could have one anywhere except the driver's seat (even if it were pivoted). That was his take, but there is only one vehicle on the road JUST LIKE a Westy, so the courts would have to do some chin rubbing if you pressed your luck.

It was also murky about where one could have an open container in the Westy, since ALL of the storage in the van is accessible when the vehicle is going down the road (unlike the trunk of a regular car, where you can have all the open booze you choose).

As it turns out, however, all of this info is now obsolete, as the Feds have mandated that states tighten their open container laws (or else they turn of the faucet for those sprawl-inducing highway funds). I don't think you can even think about alcohol when standing near your vehicle. (which, I suppose is good).

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 Tollfree www.bulley-hewlett.com

My Agenda: Stop Suburban Sprawl. My Methods: Revitalize older, highly-dense, urban towns. Champion mass/rapid transit and fast Internet service to these towns. Demand replacement of archaic, "separationist" zoning laws with neo-traditional dense/mixed use zoning. The Result: All Americans obtain superior living opportunities; sprawl is restrained; and dense, beautiful, interlinked towns become our children's inheritance. Find out more at http://www.cnu.org

-----Original Message----- From: Brent Christensen [SMTP:brent@vanagon.com] Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 4:34 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Fw: Alcohol Consmption In Westies!

Here's an interesting question that was posted to me via www.vanagon.com. Anyone have any practical experience with this one?

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA