Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:34:02 -0600
From:         John Andrew <johna@telluridecolorado.net>
Subject:      Cleanest Conversion?Stock?

Hi, I think I started this latest conversion thread and am sorry to those who are bored with it. However, I still need a new engine for my 1984 Westy. I sold my 1980 Westy which was running great but the lack of power and heat at 10,000 feet in Colorado was definitely a drawback. And it was a big step up from my old 1969 Westy. Then I found a clean 1984 Westy in great shape except for a tired engine (135k with oil pressure problems that 20-50 oil and a VW filter will not fix). So since I have to do something about the engine in the thing, I think I should look at my options. Stock sounds easiest and initially less expensive, but again there is the power and reliability factors. I can deal with the lack of power, but to have to deal with the head gasket problems and other inherent problems with the engine is what is causing me to hesitate to go this route. Or can the 1.9 WBX be built to be reliable with proper maintenance? Having seen and driven a Subaru Legacy 2.2 conversion, I was quite impressed with the fit of the engine, the power, the smoothness, and the quiet of the conversion. Reliability sounds to be great as well. Again, the low oil pan seems to be my biggest worry. The TIICO S.A. conversion sounds like a clean fit and the many new parts sound appealing, but having not seen or driven one in person and the price seems to be the biggest drawbacks to me. Are they smooth and quiet, or is the inline 4 a little rough? And how is the reliability and availability of parts for it? I am not too worried about mechanics refusing to work on a conversion, as I have done all my own work in the past. So I guess what I am getting at is, has anyone out there dealt with both conversions and does one stick out as better than the other? Or, as I am open minded, has anyone done either conversion and wish they had kept it stock? And can a stock 1.9 WBX be made reliable with proper maintenance? So many options!

John Andrew 1984 Westy (schmooo)

[text/html]