Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jul 2000 09:35:24 -0400
From:         Dan Stevens <dstevens@twcny.rr.com>
Subject:      rear discs
Comments: To: rfeussner@gmx.de

Hi all, well you have probably heard more from me in the last week than 2yrs before.

I have installed a set of vanagon rear discs on the back of my 76 baja TD, really a trick setup. I had to custom design and build trailing arms for the van hub/bearing assmbly, (nice that they bolt on)

well the thick of the rear discs is I am using Audi 5000T rear rotors ($35 ea) and SUBARU front calipers (salvage yard) they have a front parking brake, (I do not think the saab does) I do have a template for the caliper mounts (but there are 2 bolt spacings and I am not sure for what years they change) I use late 80's Subies. They stop my 30" dirt tires very easily and feel great. I only have one concern for this set up. The rotor thickness is less than the suby and there is a greater chance of spitting a pad as they wear down. I guess I'll just have to change them seasonally (only $10)

I tried using the Audi 5000T front vented rotors but they are toooo thick for the calipers to grasp. to find bigger/thicker calipers I am looking for a set of GM rears for camaro/caddy/?? they are fairly standard and once I have a set I can develop a set of brackets.

One last note is that the rear hubs need to be machined down to the right diameter. Bring a rotor to your machinist. and the studs are too short for the aluminum rims.

all done and said the rear suspension of my vanagon baja bug is quite a pretty sight. But I am just starting on my Van. you'll get to see them at eastcoast meets next spring

any other Q's feel free to P-mail me.

Dan Stevens RED BUG RESTO STEVENS MFG 76 BAJA TD 82 VAN WEEKENDER intercooled TD

PS. don't scrap those rear bearing assemblies with your junk vans (I'll buy them for a fair price)