Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:18:39 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Engine conversions (long)
Comments: To: jmp@bt-pacific.co.nz

In a message dated 07/25/2000 4:04:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jmp@bt-pacific.co.nz writes:

<< The fact that there is not a lot of discussion on this conversion tends to indicate it may not be very popular Is there a reason for this? Is the 5 Cyl conversion a "bad" conversion? The first draw back I can think of would be the weight difference in engines. Any one know the aprox weight of the 5 cyl ?( I realise they may vary slightly from model to model) >>

I thought I would post why I was such a proponent of this conversion about a year ago and why I don't say anything about it now.

At the time I was really jazzed to do this kind of conversion and I lined up a customer who seemed to be a nice fellow. I ordered the parts far in advance to get the conversion done in the time frame that the customer needed it done (he was going off to college) and was anxiously awaiting the stuff to get started. Between one thing and another the whole project turned into a tottal nightmare for me and almost became the end of Van-Again as a business. The customer, seemed friendly and we put him up in our home and fed him for the duration of the work being done on the van (which turned out to be over a week). I also allowed him to help with the work (big mistake!). The parts and engine I had lined up to do the conversion all were majorly delayed (through no fault of my own) and the customer became very upset, which was understandable. When we finally got the parts, the conversion was much more involved than I had originally thought, causing me to stop taking parts orders (which is how I actually make money) and focus on the conversion for about a months time (no joke). When we were finally done with the conversion (we put in a 2.1l engine from a GT Coupe) the power and torque were very nice, but I really couldn't think that any power increase would have been worth the 150 plus hours I spent on this project. When it came time for the customer to pay the bill, I decided to only charge him for the 56 hours that I estimated the conversion would take initially. He tried to refuse to pay, claiming that he had done most of the work himself (I think he thought I owed him money :). Finally he agreed to pay the bill and I vowed never to do another 5-cylinder conversion again. Was it really the conversion's fault? Not really. But this experience has soured me from doing any more conversions unless I have all the parts to do it to start with and some type of manual on how to do it. I thought that would mean, I would never do one of these conversions again, until I ran into the SA 4-cylinder conversion. It promised to be everything I thought the Eurospec conversion was (turned out to be a bad joke) and the do-it-yourself 5-cylinder conversion (which is now discontinued) seemed to be. I have one of the SA conversions here and it looks to be exactly what it claimed to be on the website. I'll have more to say after I actually do this conversion (the customer hasn't brought his van down yet).

If you are still interested in getting the 5-cylinder conversion done, there is only one shop in the US that I know of that does them. This is Detlev Hanschke in San Francisco area (Livermore), CA. His phone number is 925-447-8224. If you have any questions or want to know how much the conversion costs, I suggest you contact him.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16

New Phone (856)-327-4936 Shop: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242