Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:57:06 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Switched power for vanagon radio
Comments: To: "Keese, Brian W" <bkeese@indiana.edu>

Why not just run it to the "key in ignition" wire that makes the open door chime go off.

Key in - radio works, key out, radio shuts off.

Seems like a lot of confusions to turn on your radios... (you put your left leg in, your right leg out, do the hokey pokey and your radio comes on....)

Mark

Also - i heard a long time ago that it was bad to keep the ignition in the "on but not running" position.. something about sending electrical signals around... anyone?

--- "Keese, Brian W" <bkeese@indiana.edu> wrote: > Hi Jay, > > I have an 84 in which I took switched power from the > hazard lights switch. > Check your Bentley wiring diagrams to see which one > of the wires it is > (black with a blue stripe, maybe?). This requires > turning the van on (but > not necessarily running the engine) to run the > radio, which is fine for me. > At least I don't have to turn the radio on and off > every time I get in the > van. You never have to manually flip a switch: Turn > the van on, the radio > comes on, turn it off, off goes the radio. I was so > pleased when I finally > set this up. > > If you want me to, I'd be happy to look up which > wire you need to tap into. > But catch me before Friday - I'll be on my way to > Montana Saturday morning. > > Brian Keese > 84 Westy "The Ark" > > > > From: [mailto:jlsnyder1@juno.com] > Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 10:51 PM > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: '85 Defroster Switch Mojo > > I tried using a spare rear window defroster switch > as an on/off power > source for my radio. (I wanted to be able to run the > radio with the > ignition off when camping or parked.) There appears > to be some internal > mojo going on within the guts of the switch. I > wrongly concluded three > of the terminals were common and the fourth > switched. Upon further > review, there is some internal resistance across > some of the terminals. > I am guessing one is for the small light built into > the rocker switch. > Anyone have any ideas? My radio display flashed on > and off when the > rocker switch was used. I measured 12.5 VDC at the > radio harness, but > maybe the amperage was too low? I'll have to pick > up a regular on/off > switch sometime and try again. Right now, I am back > to ignition power > only. > On a successful note, I ran four new rear speaker > wires underneath the > van to the rear heater area. There, I mounted a > four wire pinch terminal > connector. I now have two Sony bookshelf speakers > sitting in the back on > the floor. Great sound, plus they can be put > anywhere I want them. > > Jay > > Brian Keese > School of Education Deans Office > Indiana University > 201 N. Rose Ave. #4105 > Bloomington, IN 47405 > (812) 856-8010 > (812) 856-8088 (fax) > bkeese@indiana.edu

===== Mark If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/