Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:04:54 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu>
Subject:      Re: California help needed !  URGENT !
Comments: To: alexskiandclimb@hotmail.com
              Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:51:51 EDT)

Hi, my name is Alex and I am the owner of an 82 vanagon. I left Montreal 2 months ago and I am in California now. I have a problem with my van: the pipes that brings the water coolant in front are badly rusted and needs to be replaced. The VW dealer tells me it will cost 2000$ US to replace!!! Is it possible to find good used pipes. Do you know where in California or do you knwow someone who could help me in California. Hope you have good news for me. Thanks Alex Please write me at: alexskiandclimb@hotmail.com

Hi Alex,

Seems to me that you want to find a temporary fix, then look for a more reasonable priced solution.

Is your leak a pinhole leak? If so just get a standard leak patch kit from a hardware store. (Piece of soft rubber, stainless steel, 2 hose clamps. rubber goes over hole, steel wraps around pipe and two hose clamps secure.)

If your pipes are deteriorated completely over a longer section simply cut it out and replace with radiator hose.

For a permanent fix you can buy new plastic pipes from VW. Pretty priecey even just for the part. Or you can pull the plastic pipes from a late model vanagon in a junk yard -- they don't rust.

Since yours is a '82 and watercooled I assume it's a Diesel. Keep an eye at the coolant level! You'll blow the engine quite quickly if you run low.

Good luck, MArtin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel (Not for sale!)

Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel FOR SALE, See:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Quantum/QuantumTD85.html

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Yale/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu Computer Science Department Johns Hopkins University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------