Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:11:23 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <brent@vanagon.com>
Subject:      Re: Questions about Westies and Syncros
Comments: To: Bob Adams <madbob@pathwaynet.com>

> westie... Can one with decent mechanical skills and a good friend who owns a > tool and die shop convert a non westie syncro to be a westie ? .. I guess > what I am asking what are the structural mods done by the factory ?

It would certainly be easier than converting a 2WD Westy to 4WD! :-) Seriously, I think there are a couple of list members that have converted non-westies to Westies and said that it was NBD. I for one would rather go with the factory setup and pay a bit more money up front.

> Also how many persons can a westie seat ?

4 in stock form (no additional seats, which were optional). The rear passengers have lap belts only and no headrests. Sometimes you will see Westies with the optional 5th seat, which either mounts in the center behind the front seats on a swivel base just like the front captains chairs, or as a "jump seat" which is attached to the back of the front passenger seat facing aft. (This one seems to be more common, and makes more sense to me, since it folds up out of the way)

> Also is there a year of Syncro westie that is superior to others in terms of > value ?

No question that you will pay a premium for a '91. There is no real logical reason for this other than it was the last year made and therefore the "newest". There were model "breaks" at 86/87, 88/89, and 90/91. Differences include some mechanical parts as well as cosmetic stuff. (For example, the '86/87 had rear "fender flares" - the later ones don't, and the '90/91s have body-colored side mirrors and black window trim)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Adams" <madbob@pathwaynet.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 4:49 PM Subject: Questions about Westies and Syncros