Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:52:50 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@ubc.ca>
Subject:      Re: travel guide recommendation - Southern B.C.
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>

At 8:54 AM -0700 7/26/00, Alistair Bell wrote: >"Camp Free in B.C. Volume one: Southern Britsh Columbia" > >Kathy and Craig Copeland >Wilderness Press Inc. >ISBN 0-9698016-7-X > >The layout is a bit awkward, but it gives detailed directions for forest >service and other "free" campsites. > >You do need a good map to go along with it.

I have this book, too, and it is a good supplement to the BC Forest Service maps. Interested parties should know that "Camp Free in BC" book covers *only* BCFS sites. Alistair, please correct me if I'm rong, but I've never seen a non-BCFS site in there. Also, the book was published before the BCFS started charging a fee for the use of the formerly free facilities. I do not know what the charge is, since I refuse to pay on principle. BCFS can sue me if they wish. In fact, I invite them to.

To my knowledge, the excellent BCFS maps are still available free of charge either from the BCFS offices in Victoria or from the BC Outdoor Council in Vancouver.

I would strongly recommend that anyone heading more than a few kms into the wilderness on logging roads have the appropriate BCFS map(s)--topo maps for the area are a good idea as well, especially if you're considering hiking. You don't want to get lost in BC back country.

Be sure people back home know where you are going, that your bus is in good shape, and that you have the equipment needed for what you plan to do. It's very easy to get into very remote areas in a surprisingly short driving time. This can be wonderful; it can also be very dangerous if one is ill-prepared.

Camp safe, and have fun!

T.

(Note of explanation: The BCFS recreation sites are facilities developed by the forestry companies as part of the their compensation to the public in return for being granted the rights to log and "manage" crown (public) lands. In return for making money off public lands, they are supposed to provide recreational facilities the public can access using the logging road network. The idea that we should grant them rights to log public lands, then pay for use of the facilities they were supposed to develop and maintain as a free (to the user) recreation resource as part of the original agreement is outrageous.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada tobin.copley@ubc.ca

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi {. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango) http://www.sfu.ca/~tcopley/vw/