Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:04:01 -0500
From:         CHRIS STANN <cstann@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Hatch-mounted carrying rack?
Comments: To: Nils Huebner Rain <nilsh@Exchange.Microsoft.com>

RE: Hatch-mounted carrying rack?Nils,

I am tempted to try the very same solution. It would put a little more weight on the nose, so that's OK. There would be a slight increase in drag, but I don't think it would be noticeable. Two drawbacks I can think of: possible obstruction of headlights, and BUGS. In the summer the bikes would collect suicidal bugs faster than a mosquito fogger at 2 am.

I was thinking of devising some kind of a brush guard with removable bars on which you would mount the bikes. It's just a matter of getting them high enough as not to drag the pavement on steep driveways.

Chris. ----- Original Message ----- From: Nils Huebner Rain To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 11:31 AM Subject: Re: Hatch-mounted carrying rack?

speaking of racks...

I notice a lot of interest in rear-hatch racks, when I've been hoping to mount a front bumper bike rack on my '85 vanagon. Compelling reason: it keeps the rear hatch accessible.

Are there downsides to the front location? reduced visibility?, less aerodynamic?

I'd love to hear if you have tried mounting a front bike rack on a vanagon or a type II

N i l s R a i n

( 4 2 5 ) 7 0 3 - 1 3 4 6 n i l s h @ m i c r o s o f t . c o m

-----Original Message----- From: K. Taylor [mailto:ktaylor@premier1.net] Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 7:33 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Hatch-mounted carrying rack?

When I bought my '90 Westy Multivan, the dealer was selling a rack that mounted on the back hatch and could hold anything from a storage chest to a couple of bicycles and, when not in use, folded up flat against the hatch. When I went back to their parts department a year, I found out they were no longer available in the U.S. They are manufactured by a Canadian company.

Does this sound familiar? Anyone know what the brand was/is, or where I can find a used one in good condition? Are there other 'back-mounted' racks available?

-- Ken

[text/html]