Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:00:03 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@aquila.com>
Subject:      I'm back and happy

It's been a while, and many (3-4k) messages were lost, but the good news is our company has finally replaced the computers in my office and now I can actually read the list each day!!!

On the Vanagon front:

The T.U.R.D. (totally unpredictable recreational device) has been performing great lately with only one exception. The left heater box (ah, the joys of air cooled cars!) has broke just before the exhaust flange. Both pipes are split all the way around. Looks like I may have to send Ron some more of my overly hard earned cash. The brakes scared me the other day when I stepped on the brake pedal and it proceeded to slowly wind it's way down to the floor. This is not a good feeling to have cruising through down-town. luckily it was low on brake fluid. The really weird part is I was able to refill it, have the brakes come back with no apparent bubbles in the system, and so far have not found any wet parts on any brake line or clutch line. I even pulled the carpeting, westy sub-floor, and crawled all around the bottom looking for any sign of wet brake fluid and still found no leak. Plus in the 2 weeks or so since it happened, the level hasn't dropped at all. It must be those damn brake fluid thieves again!

I the decided to drive the westy from Chicago to Cleveland for a business trip last weekend. There were no problems and I was able to get 23.3 MPG doing 68-72 mph the entire trip. Not bad for an engine with a carb instead of f.i.!

Now it's time for the true test of any westy.. taking the kids camping this weekend without mom.. I hope we're up to it :-)

Chris Smith TURD THINGY1

"heck, I've got too much stuff, to explain the likes of me."