Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:03:37 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Switched power for vanagon radio
Comments: To: "Keese, Brian W" <bkeese@indiana.edu>

Actually, as much as I would like to be considered really smart, it isn't my idea it is VW's. In the very late 80's/early 90's due to changing times (many aftermarket radios) and customer complaint they switched from the "always on" radio that they have been using since the early beetles to a 'key in ignition-on' radio setup. They apparently didn't want to redesign their entire ignition system to include an 'acc' position (who can blame them?). All I did was read about it somewhere, then search for the wire.

Glad to be of help... since I have the incorrect tires, don't bleed my coolant correctly, and don't know how to light the fridge I was really starting to feel useless on the list....... ;)

Speaking of which - I'm thinking about starting a totally unofficial and probably highly offensive vanagon-L FAQ. Any suggestions? Send me problems and answers that you get all the time (i.e. tires, lighting the fridge, etc) and I'll start working on it...

Mark 87 Westy 84 Scirocco --- "Keese, Brian W" <bkeese@indiana.edu> wrote: > Thanks Mark, this is a great idea! I'm going to > look into it over lunch > today. I did wonder about the side-effects of > leaving the ignition on... > but was actually more concerned about (bothered by) > all the idiot lights > being on in an otherwise dark van. Your solution, > if I can find the right > wire, will resolve both issues. > > I know all of this seems crazy, but what seems more > crazy (to me anyway) is > that VW didn't provide an accessory position on the > ignition switch! > > Thanks again, > > Brian > 84 Westy > "The Ark" > > -----Original Message----- > From: Mark Mages [mailto:wasserbox@yahoo.com] > Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 4:57 PM > To: Keese, Brian W; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Switched power for vanagon radio > > > Why not just run it to the "key in ignition" wire > that > makes the open door chime go off. > > Key in - radio works, key out, radio shuts off. > > Seems like a lot of confusions to turn on your > radios... (you put your left leg in, your right leg > out, do the hokey pokey and your radio comes on....) > > Mark > > Also - i heard a long time ago that it was bad to > keep > the ignition in the "on but not running" position.. > something about sending electrical signals around... > anyone?

===== Mark If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/