Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:10:42 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <brent@vanagon.com>
Subject:      Re: rear rack type stuff
Comments: To: Dan Stevens <dstevens@twcny.rr.com>

Sounds great (though I am not personally a big fan of the "double tube" look). Be sure to consider the option of a winch mount for the front (or a full size receiver hitch). Another very cool option (I did this with a previous off-road truck) is to seal the tubes and add a schrader valve for filling and a QR adapter to attach an air hose. I used to be able to carry enough pressurized air in there to top up a couple of good-sized tires (And then would re-pressurize with an on-board compressor). Very handy after you've aired down for oiff-road travel.

Oh, and don't forget the shackle mounts and maybe even integrated turn signals and fog lamps... (I'm drooling just thinking about it...)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA

Former "projects": '64 IH Scout "The Beast"" (Custom-made bumpers, Chevy 327, 12" lift, military truck axles...) '69 Jeep CJ-5 "Nimble" (Nairobi Outfitters custom bumpers, Buick V-6, 6" lift...) '72 Landcruiser FJ-40 "Toad" (Bone Stock) and more...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Stevens" <dstevens@twcny.rr.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 8:43 PM Subject: Re: rear rack type stuff