Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:54:28 -0500
From:         "Keese, Brian W" <bkeese@indiana.edu>
Subject:      Re: Switched power for 84 vanagon radio
Comments: To: "J. C." <jcblues@yahoo.com>

Jim, Here's another good idea from Stuart MacMillan:

<<I fixed this nuisance years ago after the switch in my radio failed and I had to buy a new one. Simply install a DPDT (double pole, double throw) rocker switch somewhere, I put mine in the dash next to the radio. Hook up the hot wire to one side of the switch, and the ignition switched wire to the other, then hook the radio power wire to both of the other poles. Then you can use the switch to turn the radio on and off when the ignition is off.>> Except I would use a SPDT switch, attach the 'switched' wire from the radio to the center pole, then the 'always hot' wire to one end of the switch and the 'ignition-switched' wire to the other. This will allow you to use the radio in 'normal' mode (going on and off when the ignition is turned on (or key inserted)), or in the 'camping' mode (always on).

But of course, first you need an ignition-switched wire. The one I used goes to the Emergency Flasher Switch. It's a 16 gauge wire, black with a blue stripe, that comes out of the flasher switch. It's convenient to reach and close to the radio and does the job well. You'll find it on page 97.57 of the Bentley, Key 58 (in the grey stripe at the bottom of the page), center of the page to the right. You can tap into it right behind the switch. This one goes hot when the ignition is turned on. But now I think there is a better wire to use...

Mark Mages suggested using the "Key in ignition" wire. I had never heard of it before, but I think I found it in the Bentley. (I still need to check it with the volt-meter to make sure.) It is on page 97.56 of the Bentley, Key 22. Coming out of the ignition starter switch (upper left of the page), it is a 20ga wire, grey with black stripe. You can probably find it behind the steering column cover plate. For your information, it goes to the Seat Belt Wiring Relay (page 97.58, key 74), which is connected to the open door buzzer. This one should turn on the radio as soon at the key is put into the ignition. Better, I think, than having to turn the ignition on.

Hope this helps!

Brian 84 Westy "The Ark"