Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:53:32 -0400
From:         Carl Krucke <ckrucke@awod.com>
Subject:      Re: Parts Place - Dear Vanagon List Subscribers
Comments: To: kjhale@earthlink.net

To the hacks at Parts Place-

In order to make 99% of the people happy, you must have satisfied 297 customers, because you did me wrong 3 times in a row. Or, 100% of my dealings with you have been unsatisfactory, to put it another way. What I can't believe is that I gave you 3 chances.

The first time, I needed a fuel distributor for a 77 Rabbit. Most basic CIS. You sent me one for an 83 or later, with ports for the frequency valve. When I called to return it, you told me to just plug them up and it would work. Wrong. The next person I talked to agreed that was not so. And agreed I should return it. The one I got sent back was the same type. Not usable. I returned it. Finally I did get a functional one, but not without a sob story about how you had to take it off your race car. Used race parts. Hmmmmmm.

The second time I needed a distributor for an 80 Rabbit, mine had suffered the typical sloppy shaft problem. I don't know what the one you sent me was supposed to fit, but it wasn't the same as mine. Fortunately, it was similar though, and I was able to use most of the pieces from mine to make it work. Easier than trying to get a correct part from PP I suspect.

The final time, I bought an S&S exhaust header for my 83 GTI. Admittedly, this part is still on the car. Getting it on the car was another story. The flange face that bolts to the head had many places with weld where it wasn't supposed to be I had to remove. The oxygen sensor port threads looked like someone had already galled them and needed retapping to work. The best part was the flange on the tail piece that was supposed to bolt to the cataclysmic perverter. It was nearly and inch away from where it needed to be to bolt up. I had to cut it loose on the lathe and reweld it in the right place. As long as I was customizing the installation, I also welded on a brace at the lower curve in the pipes, which bolts to the block. This makes the assembly a whole lot less likely to break at the head flange when the header is hitting the front sway bar under acceleration. (no, there's nothing wrong with my motor mounts) Also, now that I fabricated some special heat shields, the plastic bushings on my shift linkage and the rubber boot on the steering rack last much longer. I've even managed to customize an oxygen sensor and the heat sheilding around it to keep the wire from breaking off due to the beating it takes against the exhaust heat shield.

Admittedly, PP didn't design and manufacture the header, but they did choose to sell it as quality goods, which it was not.

As far as trying to take advantage of an obviously unaware Vanagon lover goes, and then throwing all public relations common sense to the wind, by trying to defend it to what is likely the largest group of vanagon lovers in the country, well, no surprise to me. You've shown your ignorant unscrupulous colors yet again.

The biggest shame is that there are probably still enough unaware new VW owners out there to keep you in business for another 25 years.

Carl

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:41:04 -0400 From: Kevin Hale <kjhale@earthlink.net> Subject: Parts Place - Dear Vanagon List Subscribers

<snip> Dear Vanagon Group,

In 25 years we have made many mistakes. We try to make 99% of everyone happy, not 100%, because some people expect more than is reasonable. Like it or not, there are flight delays, luggage gets lost, orders are shipped wrong, and salesman give answers which are incorrect. We make 99% happy, our crew does it's best, that is all we can do, and that is all that's reasonable to expect.

<snip> Jack Finn

--- Kevin Hale --- kjhale@earthlink.net --- EarthLink: It's your Internet.