Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:02:31 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>
Subject:      Adventurewagen info for those who have asked (long)...
Comments: To: drillock@earthlink.net, most@ucla.edu, firestream@mindspring.com

Before I have to smog and register it again in September, and because I now have a Westfalia, I'd like to sell my Adventurewagen. I'm sort of attached to it, but I can only park one vehicle in my driveway, and that's got to be my '87 Westfalia, which I just bought recently.

I have owned the Adventurewagen for about 13 years. It has been to Alaska and back, and all over the western US and Canada. The van has always been very reliable, with the exception of the stock aircooled engine which seemed easy to wear out. I have since installed a rebuilt, moderately high performance engine from Mark Stephens High Performance. They are no longer in business, but this engine runs really well and I have no worries about it. It produces noticeably more power than stock, which this camper really needs. It feels like it performs as well as my '87 Westfalia (which is really not saying much, I realize :) The engine has less than 2K on it.

The Adventurewagen is an '82 Vanagon L, it runs good, and all the appliances work. I have also rebuilt the front suspension (ball joints, all control arm bushings, brakes) and installed the correct reinforced sidewall tires, so the van handles well (a LOT better than my '87 because that van has the WRONG tires on it still!)

The Adventurewagen features a propane 2-burner stove, forced-air, thermostatically controlled furnace, 15 gallon water tank, holding tank, 12VDC/120VAC fridge, fluorescent lighting, teak wood interior trim, sunroof, lots of storage space, sleeps 4, has provisions for two batteries with separate circuits, multiple tables, and more.

I am selling it mainly because I have owned it for so long and have always wanted to experience a Westfalia. So far, there are things about the Adventurewagen that I miss, like tons of storage space, the ability to stand up all the time, that van's handling (tires, again!), a much larger refrigerator and the furnace. The Adventurewagen can be used to camp in cold weather just as it is. The top is well insulated and the forced-air furnace works great. I have camped in the snow and this is one area where the Westfalia is lacking without the addition of an after market heater.

But the Westfalia arguably looks better from the outside, important if you do a lot of looking at your campers, and since I've had to look at my Adventurewagen for so long, it's time for an aesthetic change. Plus, because of it's interior layout, the Westfalia is much better for general hauling of large bulky items like furniture or going to the dumps.. The Adventurewagen places the fridge/stove cabinet on the passenger side (better balanced) but this intrudes into what could be load space. In the Westfalia, this area is totally open. It's more versatile for general use as well as camping, and I use my Westfalia for everything.

There are arguably more arguments in favor of the Adventurewagen as a camping vehicle. But for my current needs, the Westfalia is a better fit. I may decide some day to go back to the Adventurewagen, in which case I will look for a later water-cooled or inline 4 conversion. But my research with Westfalias continues...

Deficiencies:

Needs a new catalytic converter in order to pass smog; planning to do this prior to selling it. The catalyst is listed as being unique to California models only, so some vendors listed as such and others list it as the same as 49-state vans. The van currently has a "test pipe" installed, so is driveable, but not legally so.

The sunroof leaks, and through neglect, the stove/fridge cabinet has some moisture damage (particle board has swollen, stove cover corroded) This can be repaired or replaced by the right person. Another advantage of the Adventurewagen is that it uses industry-standard camping pieces, where as the Westfalia seems proprietary in its design.

The paint looks it's age (oxidized, needs to be waxed) although I painted the fiberglass top several years ago and that looks OK. There are a couple spots of rust, though virtually no seem rust.

The original curtains are long gone, and some homemade curtains are not standing up well, probably because they are made from inappropriate material. Stock Westfalia camper curtains available from a variety of vendors will fix this situation. The van includes the original cab surround curtain and partitioning curtains, though, and these are like new. **** I plan to post some pictures of the van as soon as I can. It needs to be washed and waxed. I would like to sell this vehicle by mid-September, as a) that's the registration deadline, and b) I'm taking my sabbatical and will be going to Europe for about a month.

Any offers, recommendations or other thoughts related to my selling this van are appreciated. I am thinking of asking around $4K or best offer.

Dan