Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:29:33 -0500
From:         Tim Wise <wise@hyperformix.com>
Subject:      Re: High altitude power loss
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Thanks, Joel!

I just did my basic tune up (oil change and filter, plugs, rotor, cap, belts, air filter). Didn't smell any gas in the the oil. So I don't think #4 is the problem.

I've had this happen one other time on a trip. Ran downhill first thing in the morning for a long way. As soon as we flattened out and I had to use the engine, it started spewing black smoke out the back and runnning rough, like it was too rich. I pulled off the road and let it settle down (maybe turned off the engine, I can't remember) and the problem went away.

I like #1 because (it's easy to fix ;) it doesn't happen all the time and I probably have my foot on the pedal running downhill, both resting and giving it a little gas on the flat sections.

#3 is a possiblity. After the tune up, I fired up the engine and heard a sucking sound. It's not real loud and I can't locate the source (I need to find out where the air flow meter is). I nudged all the air cleaner and inject stuff and was able to change the idle speed of the engine, but nothing definitive. We did, however, run many miles on bumpy dirt forest roads on the trip and never had a problem, so maybe #3 is not the problem.

Thanks again. Heading out to the FL Keys this week which will be very flat so we probably won't encounter this problem, but others... ;)