Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:07:35 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu>
Subject:      Re: FW: Rochester(NY) Listees(Little Vanagon Content)
Comments: To: TMcdermott@iso.com

Hi Tim!

We just moved away from Rochester, otherwise you could have camped in our driveway. Rochester is a fairly big metropolitan area so there won't be any campgrounds inside Rochester. The nicest ones I know about are 45min to 1h drive out:

1: Tughannoch (sp) State park on Rte 96 south towards Ithaca. Park borders beautiful Cayuga lake and a short hike upstream is Tughannoch falls which cascades several hundred feet into a bowl shaped canyon. Also don't miss driving Rte 96 or any other of the finger lakes roads. Real pretty!

2: Several shore state parks along lake ontario. Great beaches and swimming! Going east a bit on the lake ontario parkway you will find Hamlin beach state park. http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Greece&state=NY&slt=43.209700&sln=-77.693300&mlt=43.355600&mln=-77.945200&name=&zip=&country=us&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=7&desc=&cs=7&newmag=8

For real close by sleeping you can probably stealth camp in any of the UofR parking lots. "Park lot" is right next to Genesee river park and very quiet. Enter main entrance off Elmwood avenue, turn right just before the parking attentant booth, another right at the power plant with the big smoke stack. First lot on the right is gated faculty parking. Second lot on is ungated grad student parking, and has a sign "Park lot". A short walk east through the trees takes you the river park. During business hours you can also pull up to the booth and buy a $3 pass.

Cheers, Martin

From: McDermott, Timothy W. [mailto:TMcdermott@iso.com] Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 8:35 AM To: 'vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com' Subject: Rochester(NY) Listees(Little Vanagon Content)

My son will be attending an open house at RIT the weekend of 08/04 -> 08/06.

I am wondering if there are any campgrounds nearby. I have the option of a $49 airfare from JFK, but would like to take my camper up and see the area if there is someplace close to stay.

Thanks -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel

Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel FOR SALE, See:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Quantum/QuantumTD85.html

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~jager/vw/Yale/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: vwjag@hammer.cs.jhu.edu Computer Science Department Johns Hopkins University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------