Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:18:07 EDT
From:         Dennis Lockwood <Jshopper1@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: fuel pump's a buzzin'
Comments: To: jfritz@willinet.net

Mine blew up (bad choice of words) about a year ago. It is very simple to replace. As I recall, all you really need is a phillips screw driver to replace it. And enough ground clearance to crawl under the van, and a trouble light to see what you are doing, and a couple of old golf tees to temporarily plug the gas lines so that you don't empty the tank on the ground, and some old rags to clean up the mess, and...and...etc. The sounds that mine made were more like a grinding noise, kind of like pumping gravel through the pump. In your case, you may have enough time to get back home: but if it starts making a grinding noise, you only have a few miles left. It probably will not start the next time after you shut it down.

Secondly, I doubt that any crud will pass through the fuel filter and corrupt the injectors. The fuel filter (assuming that you have one) does a fine job. If you want to replace the fuel filter while you are down there, it is a simple screw driver job too. I recommend it.

Thirdly, and most importantly, learn from my dumb a** mistake. It is possible to electrically hook up the fuel pump backwards (don't ask me how I know). If you do, the fuel pump will make the sounds that it should, but will not pump fuel to the engine. I assume that it is pumping backwards. Simply switch the two electrical connections and try again. You should get gas to the engine. Why VW uses a fuel pump with two identical electrical connections defies logic.

Good luck and keep the list posted.

Dennis Lockwood 91 Carat Original Owner