Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:44:44 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
Subject:      Re: Slick 50 for Manual transmissions

If your transmission is >wining on acceleration, it has either a scorched bearing, or a scorched >gear, or many of both.

A worn differential may also whine under load.

My 095 trans suffered a collapsed mainshaft bearing; this did not quite make what you'd call a whine, but made a lower-pitched moan.

Regarding teflon (PTFE), this is a plastic which has the lowest coefficient of friction known to man, I believe, and is also extremely resistant to heat (witness its use in Dupont coatings on nonstick frypans etc). But it is not all that hard, a bit like nylon. Surely, when minute particles of teflon are introduced to restricted spaces and squeezed between metal surfaces at high pressures (eg within bearings, between piston and cylinder wall etc), some of this material would be rubbed into the surface irregularities in the metal? This SHOULD produce something of an incomplete and very slippery coating, though this wouls eventually wear away. Whether such a coating would be capable of giving a measurable, much less noticable, improvement in performance or fuel-efficiency is doubtful. But I cannot see how it should be able to cause harm (though I'm no expert here).

Andrew