Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:13:02 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@home.com>
Subject:      Re: Slick 50 for Manual transmissions

Simple points:

1. A properly lubricated transmission that is mechanically sound does not whine.

2. If a transmission does make noise when the proper type and amount of lubricant is present, a mechanical problem is indicated.

3. Suggested causes of the noise have been (so far) v-belts "bedding in", "whining" pinion bearing, excessive play between ring and pinion gears, "dry" CV joint, "baked" gears and/or bearings.

4. Neither Slick 50, nor any other product (that I am aware of) has been scientifically and legitimately proven to be capable of repairing any of the suggested causes of the "whining" transmission.

My opinion:

1. I would rather be able to continuously monitor the symptoms than cover them up with some expensive additive.

2. It is far easier for DuPont to avoid future litigation regarding unintended use of PTFE. They have already lost the costs of the first round of lawsuits. The single purpose for business is to generate profit. "Proving" that PTFE suspended in oil does not reduce wear (or any of the other claims being made on its behalf) will not increase their profits. Why throw good money after bad?

3. Given the fact that no additive can effect repair of whatever mechanical problem is causing transmission "whining", anecdotal evidence of reduced noise proves nothing. If it does indeed reduce noise some cases, it is probably doing more harm than good by obscuring symptoms of impending and expensive catastrophic failure of the transmission.

4. THE MERE REDUCTION OF NOISE IS IRRELEVANT, THEREFORE THE ADDITIVE IS IRRELEVANT. The additive cannot "RESCUE" a transmission.

My suggestions (none deemed better than others):

1. Diagnose and repair the cause of the unusual transmission noise.

2. Wait until the transmission explodes while driving, then repair it, part out the van, or find a use for it other than as a method of conveyance.

3. Purchase a quality used (rebuilt or not) transmission in exchange (or not) for yours and install it in the van.

4. Sell the van as soon as you find a way to cover up the symptoms of a failing transmission. Decide in advance what people you know that have genuine respect for your honesty and integrity. Don't sell the van to them or anyone who knows them. Maybe Parts Place is still buying Vanagons!

My 2 cents, Mike Snow