Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:57:07 -0300
From:         Martin <nitram@tbcnet.com>
Subject:      Ti Co Engine Conversion
Comments: To: Peter B <peterb@tiico.com>

Dear Listees

I am a do it yourselfer and have recently converted my 2.1 Waterboxer to the TiCo Jetta engine and have run it for 2,000 miles. I am in no way affiliated with TiCo and offer the following for those who are considering it.

I found Peter B (I know his last name.., believe me B is easier) to be 100% honest, up front and sincere. Yes, I did have to wait and was inconvenienced by a lengthy customs delay, but Peter was doing all that he could and never avoided me. My engine did arrive a bit rusty from the journey, but it was more complete than I had imagined! Even hose clamps were included. I paid zero dollars over the quoted price, and only had to buy oil and antifreeze to convert and run it. Working alone I was able to pull the old engine in a 1/2 day and installed the new one by the end of the next day. After doing this once, I feel that I could do it again in a day and a half. I had little (no) auto experience prior to this.

The engine with automatic has averaged about 22.8mpg over the 2000 miles now on it. Our last tank was 23, and before that one, we hit 24.1 after driving @ 65-70 mph with the a/c on! The old engine averaged about 15mpg under the same conditions. We had lots of power at 70mph (3800rpm and even got to 75 a few times, but I personally think that this is too fast for a Vanagon, although the engine could easily do it. We even manage to accelerate and pass on a hill exceeding 60-65 mph.(fully loaded with 6 of us + bags)!

Our reason for the swap was for reliability ( my wife no longer wonders if she'll get to where she's going) not speed and economy, but that came as a bonus! We did get allot of resistance from VW dealers who claim that the ECU cannot be adjusted with a 1551/2. But after telling them exactly how to do it (thanks Peter) they scratched their head and accepted the fact. I have since installed my O2 sensor with info provided via Peter. ( Thank you Dave) It took all of about an hour to do. The system recognizes it and it works fine.

I am 100 % satisfied with the conversion and it exceeded my expectations. We hope to keep our 87 another 200,000 miles and it is now possible.

If anyone would like advice, help, questions, etc. please email me @ nitram@tbcnet.com

I live in the Rockford/Chicago area.

Larry Martin 87 Tico Vanagon 85 Vanagon 72 Beetle