Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:20:46 -0500
From:         SpaceKommander <jboldway@cottagesoft.com>
Subject:      Assorted comments

Hello all, purchased an '85 westy "Panzerkampingwagen" about two months ago. Here's a reply to some of the things I've seen on the list so far - engine life and RPM - it's more of a deal where going more than low 60's costs much more in gas (19.0 mpg at 60 versus 14 mpg at 70 for mine) than in engine wear. Most engine wear comes in starting, not in running. That's one of the reasons police cars aren't turned off much. I would recommend frequent oil changes (always change both oil and filter) as the best preventative medicine. Also allow for the motor to warm up before you crank on it. If you live in some subdevelopment that you go a minute from your house to a 55 + mph highway you're going to toast your engine fast. The previous owner bought my vanagon when it had about 110K miles on it (driven in Colorado), and he consistently drove it hard and fast - he seemed to have the attitude that the gas pedal was a "switch," with two positions - "on " and "off." I picked it up when it had 190K plus miles (dead odometer, just sure it has at least 190K) and it still runs strong. Hunts a bit at idle, which is another thing I wanted to mention. I noticed that the throttle body is downstream of the mass airflow sensor, and the throttle body shaft is worn enough that it rocks around in the body. This leads me to believe that enough air is getting in at idle through the slop between the throttle body shaft and the throttle body itself to bung up the idle mixture. The O2 sensor was disconnected when I bought it - maybe to try and richen up the idle mixture? Just a thought . . . . I'm usually in "lurk" mode on this list as I'm interested in learning about tips, tricks and repairs on my PanzerKampingWagen. However, it seems to have gotten a bit out of hand with too many non-vanagon related emails (the "M" thing), and just too much email as people will reply to a message that's been replied to before - so I get to read the same thing over and over . . . . Back to Vanagon content . . . so, what do people DO to have such problems with engine, transmission, etc? I have owned a few bugs earlier in life and only had problems with motors exploding due to excessive performance mods. Even with a motor putting out over 100 hp and driven by a madman (me) the transmission never failed.

Had Michelin *&^% tyres - whatever, the ones everybody wants. Anyway, they were a little cracked and the rear ones were worn much more than the front so I got a pair of Michelin 185R14C Agilis for the rear. Van details - brand new KYB shocks front and rear. The KYB made a big difference in tightening up the rear end on the highway, especially in crosswinds, which can be QUITE high and gusty here in Wichita, Kansas. The new Agilis tyres are a tiny bit looser in the rear, especially if you yank on the wheel you can feel the rear squirm. Highway gusts yield a ride 3/4 way between original michelins with dead rear shocks and ride givn by old michelins and new rear KYB shocks (at 65 MPH). Breeze today, about 15-20 mph steady with gusts to about 30 or 35 I'd guess. I was driving on the highway and was getting 90 degree crosswinds. Oh, and this ride was with only about 200 lbs of stuff in the camper and just myself. I think this tyre would be just fine - if I was loaded down and it was windy I'd just slow down to 55 MPH . . . . Put new KYB shocks in front to replace Sachs. Helped "A little." Still have the front end "drop" when honking on the brakes, but sway is less, and rapid turns in steering wheel at highway speeds result in tyre squirm rather than body roll. Installed rear shocks myself, was about to install front shocks when I discovered that my jackstands and floor jack wouldn't lift this critter high enough to get front shocks out easily. Went to NTB (National Tire and Battery, owned by Sears, I think) as I've had good luck dealing with them before on tyres and battery for my Cadillac - anyway, get this - they charged me a total of TWENTY DOLLARS to install both front shocks. Did a damn fine job, even put old boots onto new shocks and greased bolts so later they can be removed . . . I'm a happy camper. They treat me right, I treat them right. I give the mechanic(s) who work on my car a $10 spot as a tip. Maybe I'm throwing my money away, maybe I do it because I appreciate somebody who has mechanical skills and think that maybe they will remember me next time they work on my car . . . and will take the extra time to do the job right or give me the honest scoop. Brought the Caddy in for brakes as some of the wheels were making a scraping noise and chirp common to when pads were worn out. They put it on lift and came out and told me that brakes were just a bit glazed over from old age and didn't need replacing. They pulled off pads and resurfaced them. No $250 job, a $30 brake inspection and adjustment and I was on my way. There still are nice, honest people out there.