Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:26:22 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jfritz@willinet.net>
Subject:      Long live the list!!!

Thank god for the list!!

Tim Hannink had figured out how to remove the cigarette lighter without breaking it. Give that man a cigar! Thanks Tim!

Happily, I was able to do it in less than 5 minutes once I had some clue how. Not a big deal. If you've fought with it before check out Tim's instructions (pasted below)

We leave for Colorado in an hour. Everything is cool. I couldn't do it if it weren't for you guys/gals. Thanks a bunch!

Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle

Tim Hannink wrote: OK, I couldn't remember how exactly I got my lighter out, so I went out to the Turtle and removed it, just to make sure I really had done it before.

Unplug the electrical connection from the back of the lighter. You can remove the glove box for visual support, but watch your head on the hinge bracket when you try to look back there.

Remove the lighter itself from the socket.

Look inside the socket. You will see a set of parallel slots about 1/16" wide and 3/8" long with a rectangular slot behind it about 3/16" wide by 1/8" long. There should be two sets of these slots, opposite each other inside the socket.

In the rear rectangular slot, there should be a green plastic tab filling the slot.

Take a small regular screwdriver, put it between the green plastic and the rear part of the rectangular slot, and bend the metal on the rear of the slot upward (toward the center of the socket) slightly.

Stick your finger inside the socket and pull forward, it should come right out.

Tim Hannink