Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:40:24 -0500
From:         SpaceKommander <jboldway@cottagesoft.com>
Subject:      Window Moulding Cosmetic Fix

Hell, I've got an '85 Westy and the clear/chrome strips that fit inside the window seals on my bus were all faded various shades of brown and orange - looked awful. So, wanting to improve the appearance but not wanting to spend the $100 for a new set of inserts I went to my local hobby store and got a bottle of Model Master flat black paint which I thinned out to about 60% paint, 40% thinner. This was brushed onto the plastic insert, which soaked it up nicely and left me with a euro look window set. Took about an hour and a half to do all the windows. Made a really big difference in how the bus looks. Also the front grills were all faded and speckeled. Went to a Auto paint supply shop and tried something called "Bumper Magic," by Auto Magic, which was recommended by the list. Didn't help. Sales people suggested another product by Auto Magic - black paint designed for vinyl and carpets. Took off the grills, sprayed this on in many light coats. Again, look like new. This is a highly recommended product! It's a specially formulated rubberized "paint" which is flexible so it won't crack or peel off.