Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:03:06 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Tune up time - which plugs?

I use the Bosch Platium Plus Four. The engine starts with just a bump of the starter. I ran the triple electrode in my T4 2L and the head temps increased past 350 degrees. I put a set of BPP4's in and the temps dropped to 225 to 250 degrees.

The main benifit of the quad tip (or triple) design over single tip is that the flame kernal direction is changed to direct more of the power of the explosion towards the center of the piston. This spread the force of the explosion more evenly accross the face of the piston reducing piston slap. There are four paths for a spark to ground rather than one. The spark is bigger and causes more of the fuel to ignite quicker providing a power increase.

And the plug is the style the racers use to get the most power and economy out of their engines.

While the plug will help in a stock engine, the true benifit of the plug is felt if you change other parts to take advantage of the potential power the plug can make.

**I use the quad tip because it runs cooler than the triple.

The number is:

4477 Bosch Platinum Plus 4 Spark plug 4 $4.81 (That is what I pay for the plug from my local FLAPS)

Robert