Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:12:37 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jfritz@willinet.net>
Subject:      Thanks again!  Fuel pump repair (longish)

Volks, Thanks to Unca Joel, Das Kapitan, Dennis Lockwood, Angus Gordon, and Cliff Gotschalk I successfully replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter this morning. Threw in a bottle of Techron for good measure. Only took about an hour. Took it for a run around Fort Collins this afternoon and all seems copasetic. Should bring piece of mind whilst crossing Nebraska.

Some observations of the process: should have ordered a filter right away with the pump but didn't have the foresight. Got one at a FLAPS. Generic brand made in China! I'll seriously consider replacing it soon. Bus Depot's current price is better and I'm sure the filter is too. 2nd Day Air from the BD got me the pump with plenty of time. (Thanks Ron and crew!) The old pump used electrical spade connectors while the new one had bolt-ons with small connectors. Had to cut the old ones off and put on the new. Planning to clean up the old pump, as it will be a good spare, but sure wished they both used the same connectors. Both the fuel pump and the filter were shorter than the stock orignals so it made things a bit tight but it worked. The new pump has a heavy rubber jacket on it which will probably make hearing it buzz the next time more difficult. It provides a good insulating jacket though.

Apparently I've joined the rust bucket club. I never saw gas as red as what came out of the inlet side of the fuel filter. There were chunks of rust on the inlet side of the pump too. The gas that drained out left a sizeable pile of rust in the pan I drained it into. Apparently I'll need to check the archives about replacing the gas tank. I know that BD sells them but I'll need to check out what else should be replaced "long as we're doing it". I know that its that hellish big bump we hit in Louisville, Nebraska (ever seen a Westy airborne?) that probably shook all this crap loose and started it on its merry way to my fuel injectors.

I think it would be real wise to install a "pre-pump" fuel filter to try to keep it out of the pump. Can anybody tell me a part # for this? Do you just use another canister filter like the aft-one or something else? Suggestions appreciated.

Tomorrow morning we head back to Iowa. Expecting smooth sailing :-)

Thanks to all! Jim Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle