Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Aug 2000 06:28:42 -0400
From:         John Koloski <koloski@toad.net>
Subject:      Re: USA-made Michelin Tire,  Beware! (Non-Vanagon content)
Comments: To: One88maroon@aol.com

I had three of the original Michelin tires which came new on my Vanagon from Germany (1990 GL) explode with plenty of tread left (and low miles). I started using ordinary car tires, my only criteria being a minimum of 45 psi max inflation, all weather tread, 205R70. While I have since learned from the list that car tires are bad, I never had any problems with them. All of my blow outs occured the exactly the same way (different trips). RECIPE FOR A BLOW OUT: Load four to six SCUBA divers and all their gear in a Vanagon in Maryland. Drive non-stop to Florida (rotating drivers) at a minimum speed of 70 mph. Michelin tires will explode at or near the Florida border (lesser tires will survive this treatment). The clutch on my original engine failed at 195K miles (engine still runs fine). I parked it and ordered a conversion kit from Tiico. I figure I'll do the clutch when I swap the engine. I resealed the heads once, and don't want to repeat the experience. Put Slick 50 in the engine about 175K miles ago. I don't think it hurt the car, just wasted my money. Will not put any snake oils in the SA in-line 4. ---------- > From: James Shinosky <One88maroon@aol.com> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: USA-made Michelin Tire, Beware! (Non-Vanagon content) > Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 2:11 AM > > I recalled that the tread in the past about avoid purchasing the USA-made > Michelin tires cuz they were poorly made in a former BFGoodrich plant?? I > just want to share my weekend driving incident with you all... > I was driving on I-5 to home in Southern Calif from Sacramento in my > girlfriend's Dodge Grand Caravan with Michelin tires. In around Fresno, one > tire in front right gave a loud bang and whipping sounds like a blowout tire. > I pulled over and discovered the whole tread peeling off 3/4 of the tire's > circumference, baring its steel belts and no FLAT.... The loose tread already > ripped out the inner fender and denting the whole fender and front bumper. > Golly, its thread is good for another 20,000 miles and it clearly labeled, > "Made in USA"... Luckily I have a Goodyear spare one to finish the final leg > of the trip home... > So Beware of USA-made Michelin tires... Anyone with similar experience?? > > James > W88kender > Anaheim, Calif