Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:59:02 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Buying the ECU Chip- What version ECU to put it in!! -Works
              w-no rockers!
Comments: To: fty@cisco.com

...Chip is socketed (not soldered), so swap should not be any problem. Just make sure precautions are taken to guard against ESD (electrostatic discharge). I think he mentioned there may be some sort of foil shielding to clip through to get to the chip...

...****Your ECU module part number _must_ end in "022D". The chip will not work otherwise.

The chip can be run without rockers for about a 10% power boost, but they _strongly_ recommended against running rockers without the chip. Yes, you get a larger power boost but you will end will end up with a _very_ rich exhaust mixture. Apparently the airbox is 'overstimulated' with the ratio rockers, and the _stock_ ECU cannot accurately process/calculate the proper fuel ratios. The engine with the new chip (with/without ratio rockers) should still pass the sniff test (!). The chip should have sufficient capacity to handle additional headwork, cam changes and exhaust work (but to what degree I did not fully explore). Even a three angle valve job would be a worthwhile improvement. Richard did wisely recommend a valve spring upgrade if one departs from the profile of the stock cam. They faxed me a dyno printout (actually, the exact same one scanned in at Kyle Wade's website) which shows an increase of rear wheel horsepower from about 58 horsepower (stock) to about 62 horsepower (new chip only). The chip with ratio rockers (1.4:1 I believe) gives about 85 horsepower at the wheel. This chip was originally designed to add to their Vanagon Truck used to tow their race car with tools, spares, etc, with their 'goal' being a total increase of 10-15%. I guess they made it...

I edited the text of Lawrence Dongilli post in July 1998.

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9807e&L=vanagon&D=1&O=T&P=11626

If you want to run the chip and have an older DF ECU, you could buy a new/used correct model ECU put the chip in it and have the old as a spare. That is what I did.

The chip can also be run without rockers. Add the chip and then see if you want more power. Then add the ratio rockers.

Robert