Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:23:44 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@ubc.ca>
Subject:      Re: I HATE TO SAY - tires
Comments: To: pokeswagon@blazenet.net

At 11:50 AM -0400 8/3/00, Donna Cassano wrote: >So PLEASE, is there anyone out there that can recommend a good >alternative to the Bridgestones in a 14" size that will do well on the >highway AND be aggressive enough for my off-road camping adventures? >...I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Donna (and others),

I'd be really interested to know about any successes with tires as relates to off-pavement traction improvements. Being an old breadloaf air-cooled ex-owner, I have to say I'm quite amazed with just how poor the 2WD vanagon performance is compared to the old mid-70s buses we had when it comes to traction off pavement. We have an 82 diesel westy now, BTW.

I find that the weight distribution front-back makes the vanagon pretty hopeless on anything slippery or loose--and having that fuel tank all exposed down there really reduces my readiness to go anywhere where ground clearance might be an issue. The drivetrain seems very happy to light up one wheel on anything slippery, loose, or with moderate to large off-camber suspension travel. It's kind of embarrassing nearly getting stuck on slightly inclined wet grass or spinning the inside rear wheel on uphill gravel-paved corners. I have Michelin MX tires now with less than 10K miles on them, and no, they aren't aggresive by any means, but we successfully navigated many very technical surfaces in our old 76 westy with YokoY370s, and the Yokos aren't what I'd call and aggressive tire either.

So what's my point? Well, I guess I have 2:

1) If you have a 2WD vanagon and you want to go off-road (or even off-pavement) and want tires that will keep you from getting stuck, tires will likely not give you that solution (in my--albeit rather limited--experience, anyway). If you want to go off-road (again, as opposed to off-pavement, although even that can be surprisingly challenging), get an off-road vehicle. Four-wheel drive. A syncro would do very well, although it would still have the usual bus challenges of ground clearance, and approach and departure angles.

2) I wanna explore off-pavement (and maybe even off road) in Baja this winter with my family in our westy diesel. I was extremely happy with Y370s on our old buses--those tires were tough!--but I understand they are NLA. Hoping to find a set of 4 forgotten in a warehouse someplace, but if anyone has recommendation for a seriously tough and stable replacement tire, I'm all ears.

Heading into the boonies with chains, sand sheets, yank straps, tow rope and a come-along,

T. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada tobin.copley@ubc.ca

'82 westy 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |__| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi O|. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango)