Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:07:36 -0400
From:         "(Donna Cassano)" <pokeswagon@blazenet.net>
Subject:      TRACTION - I HATE TO SAY - tires
Comments: To: Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@ubc.ca>

Tobin Copley wrote:

> Being an old > breadloaf air-cooled ex-owner, I have to say I'm quite amazed with > just how poor the 2WD vanagon performance is compared to the old > mid-70s buses we had when it comes to traction off pavement. We have > an 82 diesel westy now, BTW. >

Actually, my '80 had better traction off pavement. I think that the transmission had lower gearing or something. Maybe this one spoiled me a bit.

> I find that the weight distribution front-back makes the vanagon > pretty hopeless on anything slippery or loose-- ..... The drivetrain > seems very happy to light up one wheel on anything slippery, loose, > or with moderate to large off-camber suspension travel. It's kind of > embarrassing nearly getting stuck on slightly inclined wet grass or > spinning the inside rear wheel on uphill gravel-paved corners.

Been there - done that with the old Kelly's that came on the Van.

> So what's my point? Well, I guess I have 2: > > 1) If you have a 2WD vanagon and you want to go off-road (or even > off-pavement) and want tires that will keep you from getting stuck, > tires will likely not give you that solution (in my--albeit rather > limited--experience, anyway). If you want to go off-road (again, as > opposed to off-pavement, although even that can be surprisingly > challenging), get an off-road vehicle. Four-wheel drive. A syncro > would do very well, although it would still have the usual bus > challenges of ground clearance, and approach and departure angles. >

OK, maybe the term "off-road" is conjurring up images of me and the Westy out making the mud fly, crossing streams and jumping logs. No, that would be 4-wheeling. I camp a lot in the National Forests and most of the spots I like to go to are back old, unmaintained dirt and grass logging roads. I generally go about 5 to 10 miles an hour in the knarly spots and avoid crossing streams. So I guess that maybe I should say off pavement. Besides, I can't afford to buy or upkeep a Syncro.

> 2) I wanna explore off-pavement (and maybe even off road) in Baja > this winter with my family in our westy diesel. I was extremely > happy with Y370s on our old buses--those tires were tough!--but I > understand they are NLA. Hoping to find a set of 4 forgotten in a > warehouse someplace, but if anyone has recommendation for a seriously > tough and stable replacement tire, I'm all ears. >

The Bridgestone Dueler's should work fine. And I may have a low mileage set for sale soon. ; )

Peace - donna '84 Westy (Pepe)