Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2000 05:56:20 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jfritz@willinet.net>
Subject:      fuel pump whine
Comments: To: "westywoman@mac.com" <westywoman@mac.com>

Melissa, I just replaced my fuel pump on my 89 Westy Wednesday while visiting my brother in Colorado so I'm *really* familiar with the problem. I'd bet the problem is the same as mine, as I had lots of other members of the list describe it to me. The gas tank is rusting and sending chunks into the pump which basically chokes it, causing it to whine. If its on an older vehicle it might be worn out but this rust problem is the worst culprit. They could probably go a significant way before it totally craps out. Seems that higher outside temps and lower gas levels in the tank make the problem more pronounced. They might be able to get by simply by cleaning out the inlet side of the pump. I opted to replace the pump. I called the Bus Depot (www.busdepot.com) and got the part 2nd day air for $164. Its also available from Ken Wilfy (www.vanagain.com) but he was out of town when I needed it. It was listed as $150 and there is a 5% discount with BD if you tell them you belong to the list. The remainder was for the shipping....approx. $22 Be sure and order another fuel filter while you're doing it. It should be changed too. You'll also probably need a couple 5/8" hose clamps too. The repair was fairly straight forward. Required a clamp to clamp the fuel line shut coming out of the tank so it doesn't keep dripping. I used a small C clamp and two small pieces of wood. You'll need a 10 mm wrench, a phillips screw driver and possibly a wire stripper/crimper for replacing the electrical connectors because the new one I got from BD came with a different connector than stock. First, UNHOOK THE NEGATIVE SIDE of the battery to avoid spark/explosion. Then clamp the fuel line upstream from the pump. Pay attention to the wiring so that you know which of the two wires is which. In case it isn't marked on the stock part, the brown/green wire is the negative wire. Replace fuel pump and filter, reconnect wiring, check fuel lines after releasing clamp for leaks, reconnect battery, and road test. Its a fairly straightforward repair that took me a little over an hour and I'm no great mechanic. It could be done in a motel parking lot....its that simple. I chose to do it even mine was still working because I didn't want to do it someplace on I-80. I take no credit for this description as it came from the great folks on the list. Good luck!

Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle

[text/html]

[application/quickmail]