Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Aug 2000 16:21:30 -0400
From:         John <johnpatt@warwick.net>
Subject:      Re: Alternator regulator voltage tolerances #
Comments: To: d t <tinkerman@usa.net>

d t wrote: > > Hello Volks, > > After struggling with a starter problem for a long time, I have finally made > progress. The problem seemed to be weak battery related. > It turned out to be a sequence of causes: A alternator regulator set too low (13.8V instead of 14.4V)

Hi Tinkerman,

With all respect I must admit after reading your post several times, I still don't see your "problem". I have a Syncro with twin Interstates and a digital dash voltmeter and the charge rate is always ~12.9V - 13.4V, depending on the electrical load. Of all the quirks our Vanagons have, regulator settings producing 13.8V are a NON-issue. As for the design flaw regarding the parking lamps staying on thru the T/S switch, that is a European feature. In many places in Europe, parking on the side of a narrow road is a reality, leaving the streetside parking lamps on is a legal requirement. Your Vanagon must have a Euro T/S switch. You may be able to eliminate this feature with a euro wiring diagram. If you can come by my place I'll swap T/S switches with you as I would like my U.S. model to have that saftey feature.

There seems to be a "Nubian in the fuel supply"(W.C. Fields)with your discription of the situation. I would like to suggest the following:

1) It sounds like the charging system is functioning normally. Check the Alt drive belt tension and leave the regulator alone.

2) Check the electrical system for UNCONTROLLED current flow with everything switched off. If the total current flow is >15mA(0.0015A), something is maintaining a "parasitic draw" on the battery and no charge rate will overcome such an uncontrolled draw.

3) If the electrolyte is accessible, charge the battery until all cells show 1.260 SG @ 80*F. If sealed, fully charge to maintenance-free specs.

4) If your electrical system has voltage drops, find the drops with voltage drop testing and FIX them. This is especially true of the 6mm cable from the Alt B+ connection to the starter B+ terminal.

Write again and tell us what you found.

Regards, John